Big Drops, Big Moves all need Precision Coaching. Think of Norway and you might conjure up images of clean waterfalls or spectacular slides, and if this is what you’re after then the Norway Creeking trip won’t disappoint.
Nailing big moves in Norway is a kayakers dreamland. To paddle big rapids in safety, they key is consistency and control – it’s the difference between falling down a drop, and styling your line. We’ll introduce you to the tactics and skills required to remove the random element, and take on steep rivers on your own terms.
The world’s premium destination for steep, clean whitewater, Norway offers up rapids as spectacular and as runnable as you could hope for. We’ll help you gain a deeper understanding of the tactics and skills required to run steep whitewater consistently, with style. Starting out on challenging lines within your comfort zone, we’ll step up to sample some of the world’s finest slides, drops and waterfalls.
Norway’s classic open terrain and pool-drop style whitewater creates the ideal arena to analyse, run, and repeat moves. These rivers are where our guides go on their days off – they honed their skills here, and nobody knows the lines better.
- We’ll help you figure out how to shoot complex rapids and we’ll give you some serious boofin’ practice
- We’ll work on reading water dynamically. You’ll concentrate on driving your boat through turns, arcs and drops
- We’ll look at spotting whitewater features and learning to use the water's features to your advantage
- We’ll help you develop tactics to take on steeper whitewater in safety
- We’ll sharpen up your whitewater safety and rescue skills
- We’ll help you find where you are with your paddling and we’ll give you a progression plan to work to
- Day 1 Arrival day. Settle into Voss and meet the rest of the team
- Day 2 Hit the water! After a quick gear review and boat outfitting session, we’ll go for a chilled out paddle on the Standa and will do a late afternoon run on the Hemdalen. It’ll give us the chance to look at how you’re paddling and find out what you want to work on
- Day 3 Today’s a technical skill review and the chance to set some goals for the rest of the week, whilst enjoy the slides and drops of Brandseth Race section. We’ll head to a more challenging river section and introduce you to some of the key concepts of dynamic river paddling such as angulation, proactive balance and driving the boat. We’ll north to the Dombås.
- Day 4 We’ll hit a Voss Classic before we head towards Sjoa over the Jotunheimen National Park.
- Day 5 Åmot Canyon in Sjoa awaits.
- Day 6 The big day out. We’ll head to a classic slide-pool river, the Upper Jori run and put the skills to the test, a park’n’huck session and great photo opportunities
- Day 7 One more for the road, the Stør Ula, iconic slides and drops to enjoy. The ideal finish to a perfect week
- Day 8 Departure day: We’ll give everybody an individual debrief before heading off.Of course, this schedule’s only a guideline: we’ll chop and change depending on how you’re getting on, what the levels are like and what everyone wants to do
Of course, this schedule is only a guideline: we’ll chop and change depending on how you’re getting on, what the levels are like and what everyone wants to do
The trip will be led by an experienced Gene17kayaking appointed trip leader.
In selecting suitable leaders, we not only look to ensure that they have the relevant qualifications but we also ensure that they have an excellent track record of white water paddling from around the world.
Whilst qualifications and experience are essential requirements, we also make sure that our leaders have the right temperament to lead a trip group comprised of individuals who have a range of previous experience and expectations.
The leader is a vital contributor to the enjoyment and well-being of the trip members and he or she will be there to deal with any unexpected problems. To that end, we aim to provide a leader who will make the trip both successful and enjoyable throughout.Our leaders hold current wilderness first aid certificates and have experience of dealing with remote river related medical conditions
We will take a maximum of 6 paddlers on each trip, although the number may well be less than this. With every 3 paddlers we have on the trip, we’ll have a highly experienced Gene17kayaking Teacher/Guide.
Norway Creeking trip takes place on Class IV/IV+(V) whitewater.
The Norway Creeking trip is suitable for experienced paddlers who are able to paddle for 4 – 6 hours in a day on Class IV Generally the rivers are accessible with near road access, but occasionally there may be some exposed terrain.
This trip begins on an easier section of whitewater, but will soon reflect conditions expected at the grade. Participants should therefore expect to be in a river environment during peak runoff for sometimes extended periods of time. A strong kayak roll is obligatory.
You are welcome to Contact Us, if you would like to discuss the trip in more detail.
What the Price Does/Does not Include
TRIP COST: PACKAGE DEAL 1150€
What the price does include
- Guiding and Instruction
- Full Dorm or Cabin (Hytta)
- Station Pick Up & River shuttles*
*Arriving into Voss from the closet well serviced airport in Bergen is straight forward with the train. Departing from Sjoa (Otta), there is a frequent yet irregular bus and train service from Oslo to Otta. We collect from Voss Train Station from 1800-1900 on the day of arrival, and drop off for 1000 at Otta Bus/Train Station on the day of departure. An airport shuttle from Bergen to Voss and Sjoa to Oslo is NOT included with ANY of our Norway Trips & Adventures, as the direct public transport link is straight forward and easy to undertake.
Accommodation & Catering
You’ll be stay in a Dorm Voss and in Sjoa, or in a Hytta Cabin en route to Sjoa, often no bed linen is provided. We’ll provide the cooking equipment, and often will share as a group the cooking duties as we road trip.
The Personal Paddling Equipment you should bring:
A good semi-drytop or drytop or drysuit
Whitewater PFD, spray deck and good helmet
Solid footwear for bank support – no sandals
Rescue gear, including a throwbag, knife, sling and karabiner
What the price does not include
Use of a full spec whitewater kayak** from our fleet
Travel & Boat insurance
Dinner on the final night
** Gene17 has a small yet excellent selection of kayaks for a range of different sized paddlers, & these are available on a first come, first served basis ONLY. Our hire rate is 25€ a day or 125€ for the 6 days, this rate also includes paddle. We can not guarantee the use of Gene17Kayaking's kayak, will depend of notification before booking and local availability at the time of booking.