Early season creek boating at it’s best, pool drop perfection, warm days, wonderful local food and fine wine. Bedrock granite drops and round boulders to boof off, all in the mediterranean sun.
Corsica is where steep creeking was born, and its reputation for technical boulder, and bedrock paddling brings back the world’s best paddlers year after year. Enjoy steep, technical rapids, warm weather, and some of the Mediterranean’s finest food and wine.
Since the early days, when pioneers of steep paddling first explored the rivers of Corsica, gear, techniques, and knowledge may has improved hugely. The granite bedrock falls, boofs and slides however, are still world class, and we’ll guide you through unforgettable rivers and rapids, with time for coaching, so you can be sure to hit the glory moves.
After days filled with boofs, and smiles, we’ll relax into the warm local hospitality, savouring fresh, homegrown food and wine, before retiring to prepare for another Corsican day.
- We’ll give you a personal paddling plan, showing you where you’re at and what to work on
- We’ll work on reading water dynamically. You’ll concentrate on driving your boat through turns, arcs and drops
- We’ll look at spotting whitewater features and learning to use the current’s energy with the river’s features
- We’ll set achievable aims and we’ll break down river running techniques so you can meet those aims
- We’ll sharpen up your whitewater safety and rescue skills
- We’ll help you find where you are with your paddling and we’ll give you a progression plan to work to
- Day 1 Arrival in Bastia*, move to our base on the Tavignano
- Day 2 Outfit your kayak & warm up of Tavignano
- Day 3 Head north to the Asco
- Day 4 A great day out on the Upper Golo
- Day 5 A shorter day on a local run to remain strong or a rest day at the beach for those who’d like such things.
- Day 6 The wonderment of Travo awaits
- Day 7 A great day out on the Upper & Lower Fium Orbo
- Day 8 Day of Departure from BastiaArrival day. Relax, settle in and sample the local cuisine
Of course, this schedule’s only a guideline: we’ll chop and change depending on how you’re getting on, what the levels are like and what everyone wants to do
The trip will be led by an experienced Gene17kayaking appointed trip leader.
In selecting suitable leaders, we not only look to ensure that they have the relevant qualifications but we also ensure that they have an excellent track record of white water paddling from around the world.
Whilst qualifications and experience are essential requirements, we also make sure that our leaders have the right temperament to lead a trip group comprised of individuals who have a range of previous experience and expectations.
The leader is a vital contributor to the enjoyment and well-being of the trip members and he or she will be there to deal with any unexpected problems. To that end, we aim to provide a leader who will make the trip both successful and enjoyable throughout.
Our leaders hold current wilderness first aid certificates and have experience of dealing with remote river related medical conditions.
We will take a maximum of 6 paddlers on each trip, although the number may well be less than this. With every 3 paddlers we have on the trip, we’ll have a highly experienced Gene17kayaking Teacher/Guide.
Corsica Road Trip takes place on Class IV/IV+ whitewater.
The Corsica Road Trip is suitable for experienced paddlers who are able to paddle for 4 – 6 hours in a day on Class IV. Generally the rivers are accessible with far road access, but occasionally there is exposed terrain in remote canyons.
This trip begins on an easier section of whitewater, but will soon reflect conditions expected at the grade. Participants should therefore expect to be in a river environment during peak runoff for sometimes extended periods of time.
You MUST be able to roll in Class IV white water on demand.
You are welcome to Contact Us, if you would like to discuss the trip in more detail.
What the Price Does/Does not Include
TRIP COST: PACKAGE DEAL - TBA November 2022
What the price does include
- Guiding and Instruction
- Airport Pick Up & River shuttles*
- Use of a full spec whitewater kayak** from a locally sourced fleet based on 35€ per day per kayak
* Airport Shuttle is to and from Bastia Airport or/and Ferry Port. All arrivals to any of Corsica’s other airports, will need to make their way to Bastia for pick up prior to 18:00 on the day of arrival or to Ernella Camping by late evening. Note budget airline flights into Pisa, Italy, with a short train ride (30mins) to ferry port of Livorno, Italy, and a 4 hour sail to Bastia, Corsica with Corsica Ferries our an increasingly popular option to the more expensive flights into Bastia.
** Gene17 has a small yet excellent selection of kayaks for a range of different sized paddlers, & these are available on a first come, first served basis ONLY
Accommodation & Catering
You can stay in a shared dormitory with Breakfast when at Ernella Camping. Although bed linen is provided a sleeping bag for cold spring nights is recommended. Where a continental breakfast is available. We’ll head to great local restaurants, plus provide the cooking equipment if as a group we wish to cook. On site camping is a popular options or hotels/gites are also available nearby.
The Personal Paddling Equipment you should bring:
A good semi-drytop or drytop or drysuit
Whitewater PFD, spray deck and good helmet
Solid footwear for bank support – no sandals
Rescue gear, including a throwbag, knife, sling and karabiner
What the price does not include
Travel & Boat insurance
** Gene17 has a small yet excellent selection of kayaks for a range of different sized paddlers, & these are available on a first come, first served basis ONLY.