A hidden Class III paradise. In between the ancient ruins of ages gone by, you’ll find beautiful gorges and clean bedrock rapids, friendly locals and warm hospitality.
Greece is home to world class wilderness whitewater, hidden away in remote valleys and deep canyons.
Home to an ancient civilisation, and the birthplace of western society, Greece is also home to numerous adventures which await the intrepid paddler. Although relatively untouched by paddlers, the Greek mainland is home to world class wilderness whitewater, hidden away in remote valleys and deep canyons.
In between the ancient ruins of ages gone by, you’ll find beautiful gorges and clean bedrock rapids, friendly locals and warm hospitality.
Visiting areas largely unknown to the wider paddling community, this adventure will take you on a road trip off the beaten track, to experience Greek food in it’s native surrounds.
Dining in small tavernas and staying in local hotels, you’ll travel through several paddling locations in Greece, experiencing rich culture, fantastic food, and untouched rivers.
Combine this with warm weather and clear blue rivers, and you’ve got the perfect springtime paddling adventure.
- We’ll give you a personal paddling plan, showing you where you’re at and what to work on
- We’ll work on reading water dynamically. You’ll concentrate on driving your boat through turns, arcs and drops
- We’ll look at spotting whitewater features and learning to use the current’s energy with the river’s features
- We’ll set achievable aims and we’ll break down river running techniques so you can meet those aims
- We’ll sharpen up your whitewater safety and rescue skills
- We’ll help you find where you are with your paddling and we’ll give you a progression plan to work to
- Day 1 Arrive in Thessaloniki & make our way to Aracthos by road
- Day 2 Warm up on the lower Aracthos River
- Day 3 The full Aracthos trip, with it’s wonderful Class III Upper Gorge in the morning, and the Lower Canyon in the afternoon
- Day 4 Kallaritikos, a tributry of Aracthos with another great canyon run that leads us again to the Lower Aracthos Canyon
- Day 5 Road trip to Acherontas, famous in mythology and yet another beautiful canyon run. In the afternoon we’ll head to a seaside village for dinner
- Day 6 Big day out on the two canyons of Kallaritikos
- Day 7 Kallaritikos first canyon in the morning, take our lunch at a mountainside village and in the afternoon we say goodbye to the Aracthos canyon
- Day 8 Day of Departure from Thessaloniki
Of course, this schedule’s only a guideline: we’ll chop and change depending on how you’re getting on, what the levels are like and what everyone wants to do
The trip will be led by an experienced Gene17kayaking appointed trip leader.
In selecting suitable leaders, we not only look to ensure that they have the relevant qualifications but we also ensure that they have an excellent track record of white water paddling from around the world.
Whilst qualifications and experience are essential requirements, we also make sure that our leaders have the right temperament to lead a trip group comprised of individuals who have a range of previous experience and expectations.
The leader is a vital contributor to the enjoyment and well-being of the trip members and he or she will be there to deal with any unexpected problems. To that end, we aim to provide a leader who will make the trip both successful and enjoyable throughout.
Our leaders hold current wilderness first aid certificates and have experience of dealing with remote river related medical conditions.
We will take a maximum of 6 paddlers on each trip, although the number may well be less than this. With every 3 paddlers we have on the trip, we’ll have a highly experienced Gene17kayaking Teacher/Guide.
Greece Road Trip takes place on Class II/III+ whitewater.
The Greece Road Trip is suitable for experienced paddlers who are able to paddle for 3 – 4 hours in a day on Class II/III.
Generally the rivers are accessible with far road access, but occasionally there may be some exposed terrain. This trip begins on an easier section of whitewater, but will soon reflect conditions expected at the grade.
Participants should therefore expect to be in a river environment during peak runoff for sometimes extended periods of time.
You are welcome to Contact Us, if you would like to discuss the trip in more detail.
What the Price Does/Does not Include
TRIP COST: ALL INCLUSIVE - TBA November 2022
What the price does include
- Guiding and Instruction
- Full accommodation including all meals
- Airport & River shuttles*
* The Greece Road Trip Paddling Adventure Picks up from Thessaloniki Airport to co-ordinate with the incoming flights on the Day of Arrival, and Drops off also accordingly on the Day of Departure.
Accommodation & Catering
You’ll be staying at our shared apartment in the hills around Arta with all bed linen provided. We’ll provide a continental breakfast, a light lunch and an evening dinner either at a local restaurant or home-cooked by one of our guides
The Personal Paddling Equipment you should bring:
A good semi-drytop or drytop or drysuit
Whitewater PFD, spray deck and good helmet
Solid footwear for bank support – no sandals
Rescue gear, including a throwbag, knife, sling and karabiner
What the price does not include
Full spec whitewater kayak
Travel & Boat insurance
Dinner on the final night
Note: Gene17 has access to a small yet excellent selection of kayaks for a range of different sized paddlers, & these are available on a first come, first served basis ONLY. Our hire rate is 25€ a day or 125€ for the 6 days, this rate also includes paddle. We can not guarantee the use of a locally sourced kayak, will depend of notification before booking and local availability at the time of booking.