Learn to run drops and slides. We offer the Intro to Creeking, after the main snow melt has past by, leaving pool drop, bedrock falls and slides for us to learn the fundamentals of steep white water. With our top level instruction we offer tactical and technical solutions to help you handle these drops in safety and in style.
Gene17kayaking offers great pool drop white water & an unique Italian experience. By early summer we have all the fun and glamour of Valsesia’s slides and drops but with less water. With the benifit of less water Piemonte turns from a world class creeking destination into a world class creeking class room.
For a short window each spring, crystal clear meltwater pours down the valleys of Piemonte in northern Italy, and paddlers arrive from around the world to enjoy the finest combination of whitewater, culture, food, and wine available on the planet.
The region’s paddling is characterised by smooth granite slides and bedrock rapids, which offer steep and technical, yet surprisingly forgiving paddling.
Set against a backdrop of ancient villages, beautiful cafes, and soaring snow capped peaks, there’s no better place in the world for learning to creeking, and for the lover of good food and wine, there’s truly no better kayaking destination than Valsesia.
- We’ll help you figure out how to tackle complex rapids and we’ll give you some serious boofin’ practice
- We’ll work on reading water dynamically, with a focus on driving your boat through turns, arcs and drops
- We’ll look at understanding whitewater features and learning to use the water's features to your advantage
- We’ll help you develop tactics to take on steeper whitewater in safety
- WW safety and rescue skills workshop
- We’ll help you find where you are with your paddling and we’ll give you a progression plan to work to
- Day 1 Arrival day. Settle into the apartment and take in the village of Campertogno
- Day 2 Hit the water! After a quick gear review and boat outfitting session, we’ll go for a chilled out paddle on the Sesia. It’ll give us the chance to look at how you’re paddling and find out what you want to work on
- Day 3 Today’s a technical skill review and the chance to set some goals for the rest of the week. We’ll head to a low volume river section and introduce you to some of the key concepts of dynamic river paddling such as tracking, angulation, pro-active balance and driving your boat
- Day 4 Boof! Our first real day on the bedrock steeps will give you a real chance to work on your essential techniques and the team’s group dynamics
- Day 5 An extension of day 3 & 4, building on new techniques to shape them into skills. Again we’ll be on another Valsesia classic creek.
- Day 6 A testing chance: another classic pool-drop river and chance to get some photos as those skills become moves and lines to execute with flair.
- Day 7 Piemonte classic. We’ll head for an all day trip with steep drops, scenic surroundings and world class whitewater. The ideal finish to a perfect week
- Day 8 Departure day: time for a debrief and the end of the course.
Of course, this schedule’s only a guideline: we’ll chop and change depending on how you’re getting on, what the levels are like and what everyone wants to do
The trip will be led by an experienced Gene17kayaking appointed trip leader.
In selecting suitable leaders, we not only look to ensure that they have the relevant qualifications but we also ensure that they have an excellent track record of white water paddling from around the world.
Whilst qualifications and experience are essential requirements, we also make sure that our leaders have the right temperament to lead a trip group comprised of individuals who have a range of previous experience and expectations.
The leader is a vital contributor to the enjoyment and well-being of the trip members and he or she will be there to deal with any unexpected problems. To that end, we aim to provide a leader who will make the trip both successful and enjoyable throughout.
Our leaders hold current wilderness first aid certificates and have experience of dealing with remote river related medical conditions.
We will take a maximum of 6 paddlers on each trip, although the number may well be less than this. With every 3 paddlers we have on the trip, we’ll have a highly experienced Gene17kayaking Teacher/Guide.
Piemonte Intro to Creeking trip takes place on Class III+/IV whitewater.
The Piemonte Intro to Creeking trip is suitable for experienced paddlers who are able to paddle for 3 – 4 hours in a day on Class III/IV.
Generally the rivers are accessible with near road access, but occasionally there may be some exposed terrain. This trip begins on an easier section of whitewater, but will soon reflect conditions expected at the grade. Paddlers coming to Italy should have a white water roll that works on Class III.
Participants should therefore expect to be in a river environment during peak runoff for sometimes extended periods of time.
You are welcome to Contact Us, if you would like to discuss the trip in more detail.
What the Price Does/Does not Include
TRIP COST: ALL INCLUSIVE 1300€ / COACHING ONLY 900€
What the price does include
- Guiding and Instruction†
- Full accommodation including all meals
- Airport & River shuttles*
- Use of a full spec whitewater kayak** from our fleet
† Our Coaching Only solution, is simply that, our first rate excellent Coaching & Guiding, and assistance with river shuttles.
* Airport Shuttle is to and from Milan Malpensa Airport. All arrivals to any of Milan’s other airports, will need to make their way to Malpensa Airport for pick up prior to 18:00 on the day of arrival
** Gene17 has a small yet excellent selection of kayaks for a range of different sized paddlers, & these are available on a first come, first served basis ONLY
Accommodation & Catering
You’ll be staying at our shared apartment in Val Sesia with all bed linen and towels provided. We’ll provide a continental breakfast, a light lunch and an evening dinner either at a local restaurant or home-cooked by one of our guides.
The Personal Paddling Equipment you should bring:
A good semi-drytop or drytop or drysuit
Whitewater PFD, spray deck and good helmet
Solid footwear for bank support – no sandals
Rescue gear, including a throwbag, knife, sling and karabiner
What the price does not include
Travel & Boat insurance
Dinner on the final night
Note: we can not guarantee the use of Gene17Kayaking's kayak, will depend of notification before booking and local availability at the time of booking.