All the essential elements for white water. Learn modern tactics, to ensure the technique is easy. Fast and fun progressive to become a white water kayaker.
Want to get the basics sorted?
Do you want to become a whitewater paddler? Get the basics right, and you’ll be on track to progress quickly – there’s no better place to get a handle on moving water than the Soca, with it’s trademark clear blue water and clean, forgiving rapids.
This course is designed to give you a solid grounding in the basics of whitewater paddling, and have you running up to class 3 in confidence and safety. We won’t just tell you how, we’ll give you an understanding of why, and give you the tools needed to choose your own lines, and hit them every time.
- We’ll give you a personal paddling plan, showing you where you’re at and what to work on
- We’ll work on reading water dynamically. You’ll concentrate on driving your boat through turns, arcs and drops
- We’ll look at spotting whitewater features and learning to use the current’s energy with the river’s features
- We’ll set achievable aims and we’ll break down river running techniques so you can meet those aims
- We’ll sharpen up your whitewater safety and rescue skills
- We’ll help you find where you are with your paddling and we’ll give you a progression plan to work to
- Day 1 Arrival day. Relax, settle in and sample the local cuisine
- Day 2 We’ll start off with a session looking at your gear and your boat outfitting. Then we’ll take to the water on the lower Soča, a chilled-out run that gives us the chance to look at how you’re paddling and find out what you want to work on
- Day 3 We’ll build on day 2, including a review of technical skills and a chance to set some goals for the rest of the week. We’ll spend the afternoon on improving your all round boat handling
- Day 4 Today we’ll concentrate on improving your general river awareness and using it to improve your paddling
- Day 5 Today’s the day to concentrate on river safety, including how to stay safe in a group and how to handle any problems that do aris
- Day 6 Road trip and river run. We’ll head upstream for a multi-section river trip a great chance to put your new skills into practice on real trip
- Day 7 The big day out! This all day mission is the chance to use your newly developed techniques on an alpine classic
- Day 8 After a final review, we’ll drop you back at the airport
Of course, this schedule’s only a guideline: we’ll chop and change depending on how you’re getting on, what the levels are like and what everyone wants to do
The trip will be led by an experienced Gene17kayaking appointed trip leader.
In selecting suitable leaders, we not only look to ensure that they have the relevant qualifications but we also ensure that they have an excellent track record of white water paddling from around the world.
Whilst qualifications and experience are essential requirements, we also make sure that our leaders have the right temperament to lead a trip group comprised of individuals who have a range of previous experience and expectations.
The leader is a vital contributor to the enjoyment and well-being of the trip members and he or she will be there to deal with any unexpected problems. To that end, we aim to provide a leader who will make the trip both successful and enjoyable throughout.
Our leaders hold current wilderness first aid certificates and have experience of dealing with remote river related medical conditions.
We will take a maximum of 6 paddlers on each trip, although the number may well be less than this. With every 3 paddlers we have on the trip, we’ll have a highly experienced Gene17kayaking Teacher/Guide.
Soča Elemental Skills trip takes place on Class II/III- whitewater.
The Soča Elemental Skills trip is suitable for experienced paddlers who are able to paddle for 3 – 4 hours in a day on Class II/III-
Generally the rivers are accessible with near road access, but occasionally there may be some exposed terrain. This trip begins on an easier section of whitewater, but will soon reflect conditions expected at the grade.
Participants should therefore expect to be in a river environment during peak runoff for sometimes extended periods of time.
You are welcome to Contact Us, if you would like to discuss the trip in more detail.
What the Price Does/Does not Include
TRIP COST: ALL INCLUSIVE 1725€ or COACHING/GUIDING ONLY 1200€
What the ALL INCLUSIVE price does include
- Guiding and Instruction†
- Full accommodation including breakfast & lunch
- Airport & River shuttles*
- Use of a full spec whitewater kayak** from a locally sourced fleet based on 35€ per day per kayak.
† Our Coaching/Guiding Only solution, is simply that, our first rate excellent Coaching & Guiding, and assistance with river shuttles.
* Airport Shuttle is to and from Trieste Airport, or Cividale Train Station in Italy. All arrivals to any of Venice’s airports, will need to make their way to Cividale for pick up prior to 18:00 on the day of arrival
** Gene17 has access to small yet excellent selection of kayaks for a range of different sized paddlers, & these are available on a first come, first served basis ONLY
Accommodation & Catering
You’ll be staying at our shared apartment in the Soča Valley with all bed linen provided. We’ll provide a continental breakfast and packed lunch. Evening dinner either at a local restaurant or home-cooked by one of our guides at an additional cost. Note self catering is also an option.
The Personal Paddling Equipment you should bring:
A good semi-drytop or drytop or drysuit
Whitewater PFD, spray deck and good helmet
Solid footwear for bank support – no sandals
Rescue gear, including a throwbag, knife, sling and karabiner
What the price does not include
Travel & Boat insurance
Note: we can not guarantee the use of Gene17Kayaking's kayak, will depend of notification before booking and local availability at the time of booking.
Soča, Slovenia – Elemental Skills - ALL INCLUSIVE 1725€ or COACHING/GUIDING ONLY 1200€