Learn & develop your fundamental core skills. For the Class III paddler wanting to the confidence and knowledge to step up a grade, there could be no better place to learn than the Soča valley.
The Soča & Gene17Kayaking’s coaching, a perfect combination. There is little doubt that the Soča River is the premier white water training environment in Europe, we should know, Gene17Kayaking have been invested in the development of aspiring white water paddlers in the valley for over 15 years.
Everything about the river lends itself to skill development and confidence building; the colour of the water, the nature of the rapids, the variety of sections. Just take a look at some of the photos from previous trips. With this as the backdrop, our expert coaches will put your paddling on the right line. From years of personal experience we know how kayaking works, giving you the right tasks, environment and teaching style to develop long term, starting on the course and progressing into the future.
- We’ll give you a personal paddling plan, showing you where you’re at and what to work on
- We’ll spend time identifying whitewater features and understanding how they can be used to your advantage
- We’ll work on reading water dynamically. You’ll concentrate on driving your boat through turns, arcs and drops
- We’ll set achievable aims and we’ll break down river running techniques so you can meet those aims
- We’ll sharpen up your whitewater safety and rescue skills
- We’ll help you work on your rapid running visualisation: you need to see yourself making your line to actually make it!
- Day 1 Arrival day. Relax, settle in and sample the local cuisine
- Day 2 We’ll start off with a session looking at your gear and your boat outfitting. Then we’ll take to the water on the lower Soča, a chilled-out run that gives us the chance to look at how you’re paddling and find out what you want to work on
- Day 3 We’ll build on day 2, including a review of technical skills and a chance to set some goals for the rest of the week. We’ll spend the afternoon on improving your all round boat handling
- Day 4 Today we’ll concentrate on improving your general river awareness and using it to improve your paddling and your river leadership
- Day 5 Today’s the day to concentrate on river safety, including how to stay safe in a group and how to handle any problems that do arise
- Day 6 Road trip and river run. We’ll head upstream for a longer river trip, a great chance to put your new skills into practice on some more challenging rapids
- Day 7 The Big day out! This all day mission’s the chance to use your newly developed techniques on an Alpine classic
- Day 8 After a final review, we’ll drop you back at the airport
Of course, this schedule’s only a guideline: we’ll chop and change depending on how you’re getting on, what the levels are like and what everyone wants to do
The trip will be led by an experienced Gene17kayaking appointed trip leader.
In selecting suitable leaders, we not only look to ensure that they have the relevant qualifications but we also ensure that they have an excellent track record of white water paddling from around the world.
Whilst qualifications and experience are essential requirements, we also make sure that our leaders have the right temperament to lead a trip group comprised of individuals who have a range of previous experience and expectations.
The leader is a vital contributor to the enjoyment and well-being of the trip members and he or she will be there to deal with any unexpected problems. To that end, we aim to provide a leader who will make the trip both successful and enjoyable throughout.
Our leaders hold current wilderness first aid certificates and have experience of dealing with remote river related medical conditions.
We will take a maximum of 6 paddlers on each trip, although the number may well be less than this. With every 3 paddlers we have on the trip, we’ll have a highly experienced Gene17kayaking Teacher/Guide.
Soča Fundamental Core trip takes place on Class III/IV- whitewater.
The Soča Fundamental Core trip is suitable for experienced paddlers who are able to paddle for 3 – 4 hours in a day on Class III/III+
Generally the rivers are accessible with near road access, but occasionally there may be some exposed terrain. This trip begins on an easier section of whitewater, but will soon reflect conditions expected at the grade. Paddlers would be expected to be able to roll on the grade of white water experienced on this trip.
Participants should therefore expect to be in a river environment during peak runoff for sometimes extended periods of time.
You are welcome to Contact Us, if you would like to discuss the trip in more detail.
What the Price Does/Does not Include
TRIP COST: ALL INCLUSIVE 1300€ / COACHING ONLY 900€
What the price does include
- Guiding and Instruction†
- Full accommodation including all meals
- Airport & River shuttles*
- Use of a full spec whitewater kayak** from our fleet
† Our Coaching Only solution, is simply that, our first rate excellent Coaching & Guiding, and assistance with river shuttles.
* Airport Shuttle is to and from Trieste Airport, or Cividale Train Station in Italy. All arrivals to any of Venice’s airports, will need to make their way to Cividale for pick up prior to 18:00 on the day of arrival
** Gene17 has a small yet excellent selection of kayaks for a range of different sized paddlers, & these are available on a first come, first served basis ONLY
Accommodation & Catering
You’ll be staying at our shared apartment in the Soča Valley with all bed linen provided. We’ll provide a continental breakfast, a light lunch and an evening dinner either at a local restaurant or home-cooked by one of our guides
The Personal Paddling Equipment you should bring:
A good semi-drytop or drytop or drysuit
Whitewater PFD, spray deck and good helmet
Solid footwear for bank support – no sandals
Rescue gear, including a throwbag, knife, sling and karabiner
What the price does not include
Travel & Boat insurance
Dinner on the final night
Note: we can not guarantee the use of Gene17Kayaking's kayak, will depend of notification before booking and local availability at the time of booking.