Learn to guide & lead others. Aimed at the Paddler who is comfortable paddling on grade II and III whitewater, but wants the confidence to guide others.
Learn the skills to be useful in a group and lead others. Set in the perfect natural classroom of the Soča river, this course will have you guiding, coaching, and making decisions with confidence on class III rivers.
We’ve put this course together for both instructors such as the BC Paddlesports Instructor who want to step their game up a notch and regular paddlers whom want a wider skills set to be of use on the river when paddling in a group. We’ll cover everything from your paddling skills and coaching methods to modern, dynamic guiding techniques and real-world group management.
This course can include BC River Leader Training and BC Basic WWS&R.
- We’ll give you a personal paddling plan, showing you where you’re at and what to work on
- We’ll work on coaching best practice. No outmoded coaching styles from decades ago: we’re keeping it modern and dynamic
- We’ll cover practical, real-life guiding and leadership methods, including how to manage your group and how to handle the unexpected
- We’ll make sure you’re up to speed on your safety, including hands-on practice sorting out pins, entrapments and broaches
- We’ll boost your river awareness. It’s not just about how you paddle, it’s about how well you understand your environment.
- We’ll show you how to visualise and evaluate the river more quickly and more effectively
- BCU 4 Star and ICU Level 4 Proficiency Training/Review
- Day 1 Arrival day. Relax, settle in and sample the local cuisine
- Day 2 We’ll start off with a session looking at your gear and your boat outfitting. Then we’ll take to the water on the lower Soča, a chilled-out run that gives us the chance to look at how you’re paddling and find out what you want to work on
- Day 3 We’ll build on day 2, including a review of technical skills. We’ll also spend time looking at how different coaching methods work and reviewing current best practice
- Day 4 Today we’ll concentrate on how to manage individual rapids, including scouting, guiding and rapid management
- Day 5 Today’s the day to concentrate on river safety, including incident management and extractions
- Day 6 Paddle for yourself: we’ll spend the morning on personal paddling workshops, followed by coaching and leading workshops
- Day 7 The Big day out! This all day mission’s the chance to use your newly developed skills on an Alpine classic.
- Day 8 After a final review, we’ll drop you back at the airport.
Of course, this schedule’s only a guideline: we’ll chop and change depending on how you’re getting on, what the levels are like and what everyone wants to do
The trip will be led by an experienced Gene17kayaking appointed trip leader.
In selecting suitable leaders, we not only look to ensure that they have the relevant qualifications but we also ensure that they have an excellent track record of white water paddling from around the world.
Whilst qualifications and experience are essential requirements, we also make sure that our leaders have the right temperament to lead a trip group comprised of individuals who have a range of previous experience and expectations.
The leader is a vital contributor to the enjoyment and well-being of the trip members and he or she will be there to deal with any unexpected problems. To that end, we aim to provide a leader who will make the trip both successful and enjoyable throughout.
Our leaders hold current wilderness first aid certificates and have experience of dealing with remote river related medical conditions.
We will take a maximum of 6 paddlers on each trip, although the number may well be less than this. With every 3 paddlers we have on the trip, we’ll have a highly experienced Gene17kayaking Teacher/Guide.
Soča River Leader trip takes place on Class II/III+ whitewater.
The Soča River Leader’ trip is suitable for experienced paddlers who are able to paddle for 3 – 4 hours in a day on Class II/III.
Generally the rivers are accessible with near road access, but occasionally there may be some exposed terrain. This trip begins on an easier section of whitewater, but will soon reflect conditions expected at the grade. Although not a firm pre-requisites, paddlers on this trip should be able to roll in white water.
Participants should therefore expect to be in a river environment during peak runoff for sometimes extended periods of time.
You are welcome to Contact Us, if you would like to discuss the trip in more detail.
What the Price Does/Does not Include
TRIP COST: ALL INCLUSIVE 1725€ or COACHING/GUIDING ONLY 1200€
What the ALL INCLUSIVE price does include
- Guiding and Instruction†
- Full accommodation including breakfast & lunch
- Airport & River shuttles*
- Use of a full spec whitewater kayak** from a locally sourced fleet based on 35€ per day per kayak.
† Our Coaching/Guiding Only solution, is simply that, our first rate excellent Coaching & Guiding, and assistance with river shuttles.
* Airport Shuttle is to and from Trieste Airport, or Cividale Train Station in Italy. All arrivals to any of Venice’s airports, will need to make their way to Cividale for pick up prior to 18:00 on the day of arrival
** Gene17 has access to small yet excellent selection of kayaks for a range of different sized paddlers, & these are available on a first come, first served basis ONLY
Accommodation & Catering
You’ll be staying at our shared apartment in the Soča Valley with all bed linen provided. We’ll provide a continental breakfast and packed lunch. Evening dinner either at a local restaurant or home-cooked by one of our guides at an additional cost. Note self catering is also an option.
The Personal Paddling Equipment you should bring:
A good semi-drytop or drytop or drysuit
Whitewater PFD, spray deck and good helmet
Solid footwear for bank support – no sandals
Rescue gear, including a throwbag, knife, sling and karabiner
What the price does not include
Travel & Boat insurance
Note: we can not guarantee the use of Gene17Kayaking's kayak, will depend of notification before booking and local availability at the time of booking.
Soča, Slovenia – River Leader - ALL INCLUSIVE 1725€ or COACHING/GUIDING ONLY 1200€